The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) has announced that the State of Wisconsin will be giving certification extensions for those certifications that have expired. Private and commercial pesticide applicators with certifications that expire January 31, 2020 – November 30, 2021, can continue to operate as a certified pesticide applicator until December 31, 2021.
This extension will expire on December 31, 2021.
This includes private applicators and the commercial applicators who received the temporary certifications with T numbers. Those who have already tested in-person with DATCP – DO NOT have to test again.
See DATCP’s official response. [ Link ]
Testing Options for Private Applicator Pesticide Certification
- To register for an online test, go to the UW PAT Store. Select the category you want to get certified in. If a test is available, it will be posted with a link to register. Private Applicators scroll down to “Private Applicator Training” and select the category you need.
- Multiple applicators cannot be registered under one email address. Email addresses are the new electronic identifier; they must be unique to the individual.
- Applicators will have to select a time slot to take the test when registering. Tests can be taken at any time in the time slot selected.
- Once registered, applicators will receive an email with a simple link and password a day or two before the time slot starts. Links work only once.
- Scores will be provided at the completion of the test. Credentials will be emailed out to the email address entered in the test after the time slot has expired.
- You will have to enter your 6-digit PAT Number (comes with training materials) into the registration and test, but you will also have to enter your certification number if you have one. If you do not have a certification number, you must either call DATCP (608-224-4548) or mail in this form to provide your SSN before credentials can be sent.
- Retakes will have to register for the next time slot. Four attempts will be accepted by DATCP.
- Registering with an incorrect email or deleting the invitation email may mean registration in the next time slot.
For a full FIVE YEAR CERTIFICATION, you will need to take the exam in person at an Extension office, or for TEMPORARY CERTIFCATION you may test online at the PAT Store.
Online Training Option for Private Applicator Pesticide Certification
If you plan on using restricted use pesticides in your fields, you must be certified in Wisconsin.
Farmers needing certification to apply pesticides in 2021 will have an online option for their pesticide safety training. Applicators can do the online training instead of attending an in-person training. There will not be an in-person training scheduled at Adams County. Attending this online training from the comfort of your home will be like going to a training session in person. You will need a computer and good internet connection. The online training will present the same information as the County Extension in-person training.
Online training or self-study is the only option available at Adams County at this time.
- Participant still must purchase the manual, or have purchased the manual (General Farming Manual, Private Category 100/101, Eighth Edition) previously.
- Attending in-person or online training is not mandatory, there is always the self-study option.
- The online training option cost is $10.00.
The online training sessions are scheduled for the first two weeks of every month from December 2020 to May 2021 (the 1st to the 14th of the month). When you register for one of the sessions, you can take the training at any time during that two-week period. Please block approximately 4 hours to complete the training. Attendance is mandatory, meaning once you start the training you will have to complete it in one session. Two 15-minute breaks are built into the training.
- TO REGISTER FOR ONLINE TRAINING: Go to the UW PAT Store. [ https://patstore.wisc.edu/secure/browse_cat.asp?category_id=30 ].
- Select General Farming 100/101.
- Online training cost is $10.00.
- Participant will be emailed a link and password to the training to gain access to the training.
- To assure attendance, code words are provided in the training that you must enter at the end to be marked as complete.
Once you complete the online training you will be emailed a receipt of completion that you must show to the County Extension exam proctor when you take the exam. The code words must be correct to take advantage of the reduced grade (50% passing score), otherwise you will be marked as a self-study test (70% passing score). Certification exams will take place at the Extension Adams County office.
*Those wishing to be certified in Fruit Crops or Greenhouse & Nursery, can take the General Farming training, but then take the exam for those specialized categories.
Cell phones must be turned off during testing, so please bring a pocket calculator for the exam.
**Wisconsin now requires that any person taking a certification exam must provide positive identification (a driver’s license is most common) and know their social security number.
You must bring this identification to the testing.
Other acceptable forms of ID are:
- A photo ID
- Birth Certificate plus another form of ID
- Social Security Number
If you have questions, please call the Extension Adams County office at 608-339-4237.
To take the online training, participants will have to register at the UW PAT Store –
[ https://patstore.wisc.edu/secure/browse_cat.asp?category_id=30 ]. It will cost $10/participant.
- Participants will have 14 days to access the course. From the 1st to the 14th of the month you select. December 2020, January 2021, February 2021, March 2021, April 2021, and May 2021. Participants can access it any time in that 2-week period.
- Participants must complete the training from beginning to end. Leaving during the training (excluding two 15-minute breaks) will be marked incomplete. Block 4 hours to take the training.
- There are code words in the training that the participant will have to enter at the end of the training to assure they were attending.
- There are two 15-minute breaks.
- At completion of training, participant will receive a receipt. Print receipt. Participant must show this receipt to the exam proctor at the County Extension office as “attended a training”.
- Identify the correct code words for the time frame/month you have registered. The receipt will be dated and the three (3) code words will be different for each month. If incorrect, then participant will be coded on the test as self-study.
- Call Extension Adams County office at 608-339-4237 to schedule an exam time.
Please call the Extension Office with any questions! Thank you.